Friday, February 17, 2012

Blueberry Buckle Muffins

These are WONDERFUL! They are like individually portioned blueberry coffeecakes... which is a nice way to avoid eating an entire coffee cake. (Not that I've ever done that.) My kids love them. Enjoy :)

Preheat oven to 375°. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.

Batter:
Mix together:
  • 2 cups King Arthur Whole Wheat Flour (I’ve tried other whole wheat flours… nothing compares to the quality of KAF.)
  • ¼ cup white Crisco
  • 2 ½ tsp. baking powder (I use aluminum free)
  • ¾ tsp. salt

Mix in a separate bowl:
  • ¾ cup milk (I use organic)
  • 1 egg
  • ¾ cup granulated sugar

Combine together until completely blended.
  • Fold in 1 cup frozen blueberries.
Scoop batter evenly into muffin tins. Makes approximately 24 muffins.

Streusel Topping:
Mix dry ingredients together in separate bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives. Topping will be crumbly. Top each muffin with 1 Tbsp. of streusel topping. 

Bake for 22 minutes. Muffins are done when a toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean. Remove from pans immediately and cool on racks. Wrap individually and freeze for an easy breakfast option.

4 comments:

  1. these sound delicious!! will definitely be trying them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try this! I love the frozen wild bluberries from Meijer (Rader Farms, same price as store brand regular blueberries); they're smaller and more flavorful than the regular ones. Thanks for the whole wheat recommendation, I'll try that next time (I've just been using the Post brand).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to check into those blueberries. I buy the bulk bag at Sam's :/ Probably not our best option, especially since we eat them EVERY day. I'll have to compare prices. I wish we could afford to go organic with everything.

      Delete