Thursday, March 8, 2012

"We Don't Like Ketchup" Meatloaf

I know it might seem strange, but I don't like ketchup. It seems pointless to me. It masks the taste of the food you are eating and it contains a TON of sodium. Since I don't eat it, my kids have never acquired a taste for it. This is a problem when things like a traditional meatloaf is presented to them. So started my quest for a ketchup-less meatloaf. This is sooooo moist and flavorful! My kids eat it like they have won the lottery. Even if you like ketchup, this would make a nice alternative to the meatloaf you already make. Enjoy!

Whisk together:
  • ½ cup bread crumbs (I make my own with bread heels - you need approximately 2)
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 palm garlic salt (approximately 1 tsp.)
  • 1 palm pepper
  • 1 palm salt
  • 2 chopped garlic cloves

Add the mixture to 1¼ lbs of ground beef. Mix well. You can use your hands. That freaks me out so I use a spoon... it works just as well.

Put meat into a glass bread pan. Bake as follows:
 
  • Cover with foil and bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes
  • REMOVE FOIL and continue to bake at 400° for 30 minutes
  • Bake at 500° for 5 minutes
Meat is done when the internal temperature is at least 160°. Let the loaf rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting. 

1 comment:

  1. This is close to how I make it since I'm not a fan of ketchup much either (only on hot dogs). I'm strange though and use bbq sauce or grape jelly. Makes it sweet.

    ReplyDelete